A New Internet Library: Add Your Website/Blog or Suggest A Website/Blog to our Free Web Directory http://anil.myfunda.net.

Its very simple, free and SEO Friendly.
Submit Now....

Last year on December 31 I posted part of a larger monitoring script that I had been working on for a few months. I received lots of great feedback on the little script in both the comments and from people I was working with, and over the course of the last year I estimate that I have invested at least a couple of hundred hours in the script. The result of all of this time is attached, and I hope that this script is as useful for others as it has been for me; I've been using it pretty much nonstop while modifying it and it has become an indispensable part of my toolkit.

Alas, while I had planned to write a comprehensive blog post on the script for publication today, I simply don't have time to do it correctly at the moment--but I wanted to get the script out on the 31st in order to create a kind of tradition. So instead of telling you everything it can do, I will ask that you instead take a look inside the script, where I've done a fairly good job documenting both the parameters and the outputs.  I'll do a followup post soon (I hope) and do a better job of telling you about the various options.  In the meantime, I'll leave you with a list of the script's major features:

  • Wait stats collection, if you enable the GET_WAITS switch. This mode aggregates the various resources that the tasks associated with the session are waiting on, and lets you know how long the tasks have been waiting.
  • Collection of lock information, if you enable the GET_LOCKS switch. A lot of effort went into this particular feature--all of the locks for each session are aggregated in an XML format, and work is done to map the various identifiers associated with each lock to actual object names so that you don't have to do the footwork yourself.
  • Information about sleeping SPIDs holding open transactions, if you enable the GET_TRANSACTION_INFO switch. If you're being blocked by a SPID that is not active, you should be able to find out about it. This option lets you do it.  As a bonus, it also pulls information about transaction log writes in any database in which the transaction has done a write.
  • Collection of the "outer" command/batch, if you enable the GET_OUTER_COMMAND switch. One of the comments on the script I posted last year asked why, if you issue SQL like "ALTER TABLE dbo.xx ALTER COLUMN yyy FLOAT NULL", you'll end up with statement text that looks like "UPDATE [zzz].[dbo].[xxx] SET [yyy] = [yyy]". This is an internal representation of what's actually happening, but in many cases is not esepecially useful for end-users. So if you want to see what was actually run, now you can.
  • Every expensive or potentially expensive option is now parameterized. I spent a lot of time tweaking performance and with no options running the thing is pretty fast. Enable some options--especially lock collection--and it will slow down considerably, so use these advanced features with care.

Enjoy, and please keep sending feedback!  Let me know what else you would like to see, if you find bugs, etc.  I'll post updated versions as major changes are made.

To finish I would like to thank a few of the people who had an impact on the evolution of this script over the past 12 months: Michael Condon, Erland Sommarskog, Aaron Bertrand, Louis Davidson, and Jonathan Kehayias.

Have a great 2009, everyone!




Source Click Here.

0 comments